Purchasing software on the Mac App Store is meant to be a straigt-forward process, and it is! Apple’s Magic?!
Said so it’s true that the App Store licensing change the rules we are used to follow (supposedly) .
If facts now we can buy an application on the App Store and install it in as many Macs as we own without extra charge… but what if we are running a company? ..read to know!
- The App Store purchases are tight to an Apple ID and only one!
- Every Apple ID is tight to a specific CreditCard/Peyment Method
- By The Way we can create multiple accounts using the same credit card.
- We can top-up/recharg the credit on an Apple ID with single or multiple iTunes GiftCards instead of any other peyment method or credit card.
- The App Store license allows the owner of the account to install as many copies of the purchased software on as many computers he owns on his EXCLUSIVE/FAMILIY use (it’s not imposed the limit of 5 devices unlike the iOS App Store)
Best practice to avoid liceses issues: HOW-TO STAY LEGAL
- For a company’s purposes it’s recomended (I would say nmecesary) to create an Apple ID for each user (employee) that need to buy softwatre from the App Store.
- The Apple IDs created must NOT be too tight to the users to avoid problems when an employee would depart (leave the company).
- It may be more practical to associate an Apple ID to the machine in use by a user that need the software:
- if the user leaves the company we just need to change the password and few personal information associated with the Apple ID.
- if the user change computer can login to the new computer and download again the software previously purchased, and remove the copies of the software from the old computer.
- if the user has more then one computer he can legally use the same Apple ID on all the computers he uses as far as he is the only user of those computers.
- The Apple ID will usually match the email address used to register it, so I suggest to use impersonal emails such [email protected] and those email addresses will be aliases (nick names) for a unique email address that will receive the iTunes invoices issued from the App Store.
- When a user needs to buy some applications it’s enough to top-up his Apple ID with an iTunes GiftCard without need to use a Credit Card.
In case of a domestic use this is a good practice if we want your son/daughter to buy some apps/games without giving them your credit card details, you will feel safe that they won’t drain your account.The GitCard can be bought by amny means like via internet from or from the Apple Store user when needed to top-up his account.
Create an Apple ID
- Make sure that an appropriate nickname/alias email address, such [email protected], exists and points to [email protected] .
- Follow this linkhttps://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/117/wa/createAppleId?wosid=RHjigjcIiKYNMaFbf3xj30&localang=en_UKto create a new Apple ID.
- Use the nickname/alias email address ([email protected]) as ‘Apple ID’.
- You may consider to use the same password for all the created Apple IDs only if NO Credit Card will be associated to it, because the risk due to a stolen password would be limited to drain all the iTunes GiftCard (leftover) credit and nothing more.
- I suggest to use the user’s real full name but a fake birthday date and for the ‘primary address’ to provide the company address.
- Confirm the information to create the Apple ID
Add Credit to the Apple ID (Redeem a GiftCard)
If you decided not to use a credit card:
- Buy, by any mean, an iTunes GiftCard (aka voucher).
- Open the ‘App Store’ application on the Mac where you are going to buy and install the desidered software.
- From the application’s menu choose ‘Store -> View My Account‘ and SignIn with the newly created Apple ID credential that will “stick” with this computer.
- Edit the ‘Payment Information’.
- If you decided to go for iTunes GiftCards (instead of Credit Cards):
- Choose ‘NONE’ as payment method and then click on ‘To redeem a code, click here‘.
- Enter the Gift Card or other iTunes code to add credit to the Apple ID
Purchase Software in the App Store
- Make sure you are signed in with the right Apple ID credential.
- Locate the software you want to buy.
- Click on the price label below the App’s name.
- Provide the Apple ID’s password if required.
The app will be downloaded and installed directly into the Application folder of the Mac.
Powered by Facebook Comments